Ohno Type School: Z
- Take your time when figuring out the weight of the diagonal of Z.
- Lowercase z has many more interesting options than you might think.
- I sharted on the first day of high school.
You have survived about 26 letters, about 200 slides, and even more stupid jokes. I’ll get around to the numbers and punctuation (accented glyphs? dingbats?) someday, but for now maybe it’s nice to do a quick review on the hole thing.
- Have some reference. With hundreds of years of type history to rely on, there is probably some typefaces that is both well drawn by a legit type designer, and similar enough to your design that you can steal some ideas in a healthy way.
- Attempt multiple versions. For every successful glyph, there are at least a few iterations that weren't quite as successful. Testing out variations in context is the only way to declare a real winner.
- Have a good time. If you’re ever hating the inititial sketching and drawing of a typeface, maybe a little soul-searching is in order. Do you have a solid concept? Or are there too many good ideas floating around? The beginning should be fun. If you’re hating the last 10-50 of finishing a typeface, good! You’re supposed to!